Skip to main content

The 200th Anniversary of Emma

Romola Garai as Emma in the 2009 BBC miniseries
This year marks the 200th Anniversary of the publication of Jane Austen's Emma. Now, its not until December 25th, but since Emma is one of my favorite novels, we are going to talk about it this week. 

Before she started the novel, Jane Austen said, "I'm going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like." Then she proceeded to write one of the greatest novels in the English language. 

The first line of the novel captures that statement and sets the tone for the rest of the novel:
"Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her."

Emma is practically perfect; her only downfall is that she knows she is perfect. Therefore, she spends the entire novel trying to arrange other peoples' lives since she believes she is a model matchmaker. She royally messes up everyone's lives and her own in the process; and the hilarity and awkward situations commence. What I think makes this book so loved is the growth the reader sees in Emma from the beginning of the book to the end. Everyone is at least a little annoyed by Emma at the beginning, but we cheer for her to become a better version of herself through the course of the book. 


Cool old copy of Emma


Fun fact about the publishing of Emma: The Prince Regent at the time was a huge fan of Jane Austen, so much so that he demanded that she dedicate Emma to him. Jane hated the Prince Regent, so she settled for a satirical and pompous dedication. "To his Royal Highness, the Prince Regent, this work is, by his Royal Highness's permission, most respectfully dedicated, by his Royal Highness's dutiful and obedient humble servant, The Author." Every time I read this I can imagine her writing this and smirking as she does it. 


Clueless: Cher and her crew

Emma has spawned many adaptations and retellings, such as the popular 90s movie, Clueless. It also has been remade into a web series called Emma Approved. It was made by the same people who created The Lizzie Bennet Diaries (you can read about my obsession with them here). 
You can check out the first couple of episodes of Emma Approved on YouTube here. I promise you that they are Simply Austen approved. 



Besides actually reading the novel, my favorite (and the most faithful) adaptation is the 2009 BBC mini series starring Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller as Emma and Knightley. It honestly might be my favorite Jane Austen adaptation ever. It's that good. 

Have you ever read Emma? Did you like it? Have you ever seen any of the adaptations? Which ones?



Comments

  1. I love all of your interesting facts! I feel like your blog gives me a little window of education every time I read it. I had no idea Clueless was based off of a Jane Austen novel; how cool! My sister was just telling me this weekend how much she loved Emma; it's on my summer reading list, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your interesting facts! I feel like your blog gives me a little window of education every time I read it. I had no idea Clueless was based off of a Jane Austen novel; how cool! My sister was just telling me this weekend how much she loved Emma; it's on my summer reading list, now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Emma! It's probably one of my favorite books of all time, but I haven't really seen any of the adaptions besides Clueless. That's something I'll definitely have to look in to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely going to read Emma this coming summer! Thank you for offering your own thoughts and all those interesting facts about the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read Emma, but believe me, it is on my book list. I feel like I have a responsibility to read it because I have the same name of a classic book. I have seen a few episodes of Emma Approved, however, but I have yet to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the 1999 adaptation of Mansfield Park. It's a very good movie, but a terrible adaptation of Austen's book. If you can separate the two, it's very enjoyable. Jonny Lee Miller is in that one, too!

    I think it's funny that Austen said no one would like Emma but her. I feel like most authors must secretly (or in Austen's case, openly) love the characters they design to be hated. The authors are the ones who truly understand those characters, because they have be able to see them the way they see themselves, which is usually in the best light possible. The great villains think they're the heroes.

    (Not that Emma's a villain.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Fix: Podcasts

After trying to fill the hole in my life that I wrote about in my last blog post, I stumbled upon a new form of entertainment that I had never explored before. Podcasts. I had never been interested in the idea of podcasts, but I've recently had to spend much more time in the car, and since that unfortunately precludes Netflix watching, podcasts were next on my list. I had heard about the show The History Chicks  and decided that they would be a good first step into podcast listening. And what a great first step it has been! The two hosts are funny, entertaining, and do a wonderful job profiling important women in history. Granted, I am only 4 episodes in, but I would say that is enough time for me tell the research quality and passion of the two ladies creating this show. They've picked varying and interesting topics so far, ranging from Marie Antoinette to Laura Ingalls Wilder, Cinderella, and Abigail Adams. The only downfall that I can see right now is the sound

The Comic Relief

Probably my favorite movie quote ever. What is a Jane Austen novel without the secondary characters who say the most outrageous things and keep us laughing constantly? I have many favorite secondary characters in Jane Austen; in my opinion, they are often the ones who steal the show with their odd ways and awkward situations. Two men in particular have a special place in my heart for their nonsensical ways. The first is dear Mr. Woodhouse, Emma's father in Emma . He is such a kind and caring soul; he only wants what is best for his two beloved girls. However, that does mean that he goes over the top in trying to protect them from the world. He is also a hypochondriac and very irrational about health in general. My favorite Mr. Woodhouse quotes: "His own stomach could bear nothing rich, and he could never believe other people to be different from himself. What was unwholesome to him, he regarded as unfit for any body; and he had, therefore, earnestly tried to di

Austen Illustrations

One of my favorite nerdy Janeite things to do is to find illustrations of Jane Austen's novels, particularly ones from the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th. There is something so intriguing about seeing how someone else many years ago viewed a particular scene or character, yet we both read the same words on the page. I particularly love the illustrations by C.E. Brock and H.M. Brock, which were done during the 1890s and early 1900s. They were brothers who created most of the classic and beautiful illustrations. Seriously, look at the picture above. The colors and drawings are exquisite. If you want to learn more about the pair, check out this  site . Hugh Thomson is another artist who did classic Jane Austen illustrations at the time as well. This one just cracks me up. C.E. Brock totally captured Mr. Collins and his horrific proposal in this drawing. He's so tall, awkward, and pompous. Elizabeth is slanted away from him and desperately doing any